Unlike other types of fridge freezers, an American fridge freezer contains double doors that open from the middle outwards or drawers below the double doors that pull out to add more storage. This appliance is becoming popular all over the UK because of its vast capacity, technology that keeps food fresh, statement design, and instant cooling.
However, its disposal is quite challenging as it is subjected to strict rules and regulations. It contains refrigerant gases, which are harmful to human health and the environment. Therefore, it requires professional handling to ensure proper disposal and code compliance.
Scrap My Appliance is experienced in providing American fridge freezer collection, disposal and recycling services with great efficacy. We provide a safe collection of appliances from your doorstep, saving you from the hassle of transporting them to disposal and recycling facilities.
AS EASY AS 1,2,3
Process of American Fridge Freezer Removal
At Scrap My Appliance, we complete the American fridge freezer removal in the following steps:
- Schedule a pick-up date for the collection.
- Send the team with an appropriate vehicle for appliance collection from your property.
- Transport the appliances securely to the designated location for further processing.
- Assess the appliance to determine the suitable disposal method.
- Disassemble the fridge freezer to extract valuable materials, including plastics and metals.
- Send the extracted valuable materials to recycling centres for reuse in new products.
- Extract and handle hazardous substances present in the fridge freezer to prevent health and environmental risks.
- Dispose of irreparable and non-recyclable components responsibly by following the waste management guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with all the regulations.
- Provide all the necessary documentation to ensure responsible disposal of the appliance.
Your Options for American Fridge Freezer Disposal
Depending on its condition, we have different options for disposing of your American fridge freezer. It can be donated to charity if it is still in working condition or taken to a local recycling centre or disposal site.
Get in touch with us to avail of our services and get the cost quote.
Call us for quote
The cost to run an American fridge freezer is relatively higher, ranging from £105 to £216 per year, which also impacts your energy bills.
There are different legal requirements for the safe and secure disposal of appliances in the UK, such as:
- The Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011 for waste management, which include the rules for proper disposal.
- The WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Regulations 2013 focused on individuals and businesses for recycling or disposing of EEE (Electrical and Electronic Equipment) in an environmentally friendly manner.
We ensure strict adherence to these regulations during appliance disposal.
Proper disposal of the appliance is necessary to:
- Protect the environment by not allowing harmful materials, including freons, PCBs, and refrigerants, to enter the environment and cause pollution.
- Save energy by replacing older appliances with new and energy-efficient ones, thus reducing energy bills.
- Reduce waste by decreasing the strain on overcrowded landfill sites.
- Protect human health by professionally handling harmful materials.
The weight of an American fridge freezer mainly depends on the model, but in the UK, it usually weighs from 90kg to 170kg, depending on the components present inside it, such as an ice and water dispenser.
An American fridge freezer can last up to 14 years with regular maintenance and servicing. However, its parts can remain functional for up to 20 years and be reused by separating them during disposal.
The energy consumption mainly depends on the model of an American fridge freezer and typically ranges between 200W and 400W.